DOWNLOAD (550D, 60D, 600D, 500D, 50D)
As you may already know, this is the Xmas update of Magic Lantern - the latest 2011 update. After lauching the teaser, we were overwhelmed by your interest: Magic Lantern community is much bigger than we thought! It's huge!
This update brings two major features, made possible by the discoveries of a new team member: g3gg0.
You can lower the frame rate down to 4 fps at a shutter speed of 1/4 seconds, which gives you extreme low-light capabilities.
Overcranking doesn't really work; the 60D hardly gets 35fps in 1080p. On the other hand, 500D and 50D can now record at 24p!
For high-contrast scenes with not-so-fast moving subjects, you can get great shadow and highlight detail.
This feature is enabled on all cameras, but older models may have synchronization issues.
We are also posting a free HDR post-processing workflow for advanced users, based on Avisynth with InterFrame plugin, VirtualDub and enfuse. Check this discussion thread for details!
Tip: HDR and FPS control are available in Advanced mode - press the MENU button!
If you support Magic Lantern development with a donation, you will get a few nice extras:
- A ready-to-run version of our HDR workflow, working on Windows (native), and also Mac and Linux (under Wine), with everything included in the zip file.
- A preview of the upcoming 5D Mark II unified version (update: see what works and what not).
I need your help in order to continue developing and improving Magic Lantern. Here are some of the plans for the future:
- Improve the support for existing cameras (for example, audio features on 600D).
- Add support for new cameras (you name them).
- Refine and improve the current set of features.
- Develop a post-processing tool for content created with the help of Magic Lantern: timelapse, slow motion, low-light shooting, focus stacks and so on.
Right now I'm developing on 550D and 60D, and thanks to your help, on 5D Mark II starting from tomorrow. So far, I've been developing and maintaining the 600D, 500D, 50D and 5D Mark II ports by relying on user feedback, patches from other developers and automated testing.
Tip: after you donate, click on the orange button that reads "Return to Donation Coordinator" to get your bonus!
If you don't receive the link, just send me an e-mail.
You have now an extremely powerful tool in your hands. Use it, experiment and don't forget to have fun.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year!
Alex, 22:12, December 22, 2011 (GMT)
Update: See what other users are doing with HDR video feature!
More videos on Magic Lantern Vimeo Group
Follow the Twitter feed for experimental updates: