Ad blocker interference detected!
Wikia is a free-to-use site that makes money from advertising. We have a modified experience for viewers using ad blockers
Wikia is not accessible if you’ve made further modifications. Remove the custom ad blocker rule(s) and the page will load as expected.
Previous work by Trammel: http://magiclantern.wikia.com/wiki/Autoboot
The bootrom (at 0xffff0000) allows the loading and execution of code if:
- the bootdisk flag is enabled in camera (required on 400D, 500D, 550D, 600D, 1100D, 50D, 60D, 7D, at least)
- the boot sector contains the strings "EOS_DEVELOP" and "BOOTDISK" at the right places, depending on 3 FAT versions.
Based on bootloader 0.13, these offsets (hexa/decimal) are:
|FAT version||Volume Label = "EOS_DEVELOP"||Bootcode+2 = "BOOTDISK"||comments|
- for ExFAT:
- BOOTDISK and EOS_DEVELOP have to written in sector 0 and sector 12 (Resp. main and backup VBR)
- A checksum has to be computed for the first 11 sectors of each VBR (sectors 0-10 and sectors 12-22), with fields 'volume flags' and 'percent in use' skipped. Sector 11 and 23 must be filed with this checksum value stored in little endian byte order.
- See working "make_bootable.sh" version 2 and "exfat_sum.c" : http://groups.google.com/group/ml-devel/browse_thread/thread/1161d4e6e93232de
- If the "make_bootable.sh" script is not working with bash on *nix, and/or you are running a 64-bit OS ("exfat_sum.c" compiles to a binary only functioning on 32-bit OSes), please see: http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=4189.msg23416#msg23416
- to check if a disk is bootable for autoexec.bin, you can use HxD editor: http://mh-nexus.de/en/hxd/
- Free EXFAT file system implementation
- ExFAT: US Patent US2009164440 . Table 4, page 9
- FAT12/16/32 : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File_Allocation_Table#Boot_Sector
- Linux: http://www.lauris.nl/mk.64GB.exfat.fs.zip restores a valid 64GB image using dd and gzip